Saturday, October 25, 2008

Becky by Rachel Fishburn

My memories of you

fill my whole life remembered.

The chubby baby

rocking in my lap.

Strapped onto the maid's back,

when not acting as baby doll for me.

Running through the park,

stopping for a moment at each apparatus.

Sleep-eyed eating eggs,

while I rushed off to school.

Copying my every move,

unaware of my awkwardness.

Running in two casts,

crutches left forgotten against the wall.

Tending your bedroom zoo,

while family crumbled around you.

Watching the stars

with your scared, scared sister.

Moving far away,

your teenage years fuzzy from distance.

Suddenly woman,

marrying and giving birth.

Best friend,

across the miles and miles and miles.....

How I wish we were neighbors,

sharing hot chocolate and eggs.

So thankful for your voice,

making new memories

no matter how far away.

No comments: