Thursday, July 9, 2009

Salt 6/1/1996

in the wintertime i forget.
the snow and icy chill bock all emotions:
pain, joy, everything.
you can see me if you look carefully.
i'm the one with the stone face
and a perpetual twitching frown.
i tried to inhabit your icy lake
but i forgot how to read your
"DANGER!" signs,
and i slipped under
through a crack in the ice.
all through the re-birth you'll watch me
hopelessly flail my arms
and kick my aching feet.
so when summer burns your white skin
mine will be wet and pruned.
my exhausted body will shut down
and i will drown in your waters.
leave me there
with the sand and the salt.
yes, your freshwater lake is no more.
i've cried the dead sea.

~Rachel Nicely

1 comment:

The Creative Writing Circle said...

I think I actually remember this one...

I like the visual of being trapped under the ice... and the last line. I've felt that way before - like I've "cried the dead sea". i love you, Ray Ray.

-Becca Boober